top of page

The Font

The white marble font is a gadrooned bowl supported on a baluster and is original, although the large circular marble plinth on which it sits is likely much more recent in date.  The oak cover is also an early 20th century addition.


The font was relocated in 1953, subsequent to the 175th anniversary of the church, from the front of the vestry to a specially adapted baptistery at the rear of the south aisle.


Its original location is evidenced by this 1875 Ordnance Survey map as well as the scalloped interior walls, which are partially hidden by the later addition of timber bible shelves either side of the vestry doorway.

bottom of page